Is It Possible To Take Too Much Protein
Yes. The Department of Health advises adults to avoid consuming more than twice the recommended daily intake of protein . Always read the label of any protein supplement carefully, stick to the recommended serving size, and be mindful of other protein sources in your diet. If youre concerned that you might be consuming too much protein, speak to your GP.
Are Protein Bars Good For You
Protein bars are a popular snack food designed to be a convenient source of nutrition.
Many people enjoy them because theyre a quick way to add protein and other nutrients to a busy and active lifestyle.
Given the wide variety of protein bars on the market, its important to know that not all protein bars are created equal.
This article reviews whether protein bars are healthy, what benefits they may offer, and the best ways to incorporate them into your lifestyle.
How To Choose A Good Protein Bar
Protein bars have rightly become a common part of our diet. And no wonder. Theyre a great snack when youre in a hurry and need to quickly satisfy your hunger and your taste buds. You can literally use them as a hunger first aid at work, studies, hiking or on the ski slope.
However, there are significant differences in the ingredients profile of different protein bars. You can easily discover which protein bar is a good one and which one should be left on the shelf. Lets take a closer look at what a protein bar actually is, what it consists of, when it is appropriate to eat it and how to choose the best quality one.
You May Like: How Many Grams.of Protein Per Day
Homemade Protein Bars Only 5 Ingredients
Youll love the pure, nutritious, simple ingredients that go into these quality protein bars. All you need are:
- Whole Rolled Oats: whole oats provide a more robust texture than quick or instant oats.
- Real Peanut Butter: we love chunky peanut butter, as it lends a bit of crunch to the bars.
- Whey Protein Powder: feel free to use your favorite flavor, though we highly recommend steering clear of artificial sugars, as those tend to have an unpalatable aftertaste. Our personal favorite is pure, unflavored 100% whey protein powder, which weve been using for years.
- Real Maple Syrup or Honey: it just feels better than sugar. Plus, maple or honey has the sticky texture needed to help bind the bars.
- Milk: we use regular cows milk, but feel free to use your milk of choice.
- Totally optional: add-ins! We love dried blueberries, chocolate chips, or even drizzled chocolate on top.
Tip: If youre planning to stash these bars in your gym bag, backpack, or lunch sack, we recommend skipping the drizzle on top. Theyll stay a lot neater that way and youll like us more.
- peanut butter mixture
Who Should Buy Promix Crunchy Puff Bar
- Anyone who is a big fan of marshmallow treats, as these are the protein bar equivalent to satisfy that craving in a healthier way.
- These bars are great for those who want some variety in their protein bars with four great flavors, and a crunchy texture.
- People who prefer to have all-natural ingredients and transparency third-party testing for these bars is done by Convance and Eurofins, and you can see that right on the product page.
Read Also: Before And After 7 Day Protein Shake Diet Results
Who Should Buy Legion High
- Folks who want solid post-workout macros that means a decent amount of fats and protein. These bars have 12g and 20g, respectively.
- If youre looking for a similar dose of protein as you would get from a protein shake, youll appreciate that these bars are made with whey isolate and whey concentrate .
- People looking for a higher calorie bar will like the 240 calories here.
Depending On Their Origin Sweeteners Can Be Categorized Into:
- sweeteners of natural origin this includes, for example, stevia and thaumatin
- polyalcohols synthetic sweeteners whose structure is identical to natural ones, such as erythritol, xylitol and maltitol
- synthetic sweeteners they are made by chemical processes, they include for example sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame K
However, we do not need to worry about any of these sweeteners. Both the European and the US Food and Drug Administration have confirmed that they are safe within daily limits. However, these values are quite high, so you shouldnt worry even if you have a few protein bars and wash them down with sweetened lemonade.
Also Check: Best Protein For Muscle Building
Who Shouldnt Buy Extend Bar Blood Sugar Control Protein Bars
- People who want a higher calorie content in their protein bar should know that these bars only contain between 130 and 160 calories.
- Athletes who want a higher protein content can get higher protein content from other products, as these range from nine to 12 grams of protein per bar.
If youre trying to avoid a sugar high and then crash, Extend Bars might be able to help with their slow-release carbs and no added sugars. Theyre especially ideal for people with diabetes who are constantly watching their blood sugar levels.
Orgain Protein Bars 12
One of the best vegan protein bars
For a quite affordable protein bars option, you cant go wrong with Orgain.
These protein bars are a bit smaller in size than others, but still provide 10 grams of vegan protein, Jones says. They have a really smooth texture and crave-able taste with a size and nutrient profile great for the average generally active person.
Don’t Miss: Best Protein Whey Isolate Powder
Which Bar Has The Most Protein
According to Jennifer Maeng, MS, RD, adult clinical nutrition specialist and founder of Chelsea Nutrition, three brands offer 15 to 22 grams of protein per serving: No Cow, Quest and Rise. Hitting 20 grams per serving, ONE bars is another good brand, as recommended by Barnes.
The highest protein bars pack around 20 grams or more, Syn adds. CLIF Builders contain 20 grams of protein per bar and are designed to help recovery after a tough workout, she highlights.
However, more protein isnt always better. While there are a couple of bars on the market packing in 30 grams of protein, they arent my top recommendation due to the balance of nutrients and other ingredients, Jones notes.
Promix Crunchy Puff Bar
If youre tired of the same old grainy protein bar texture, you might want to pick up a box of Promix Crunchy Puff Protein Bars. They feature whole food ingredients and transparent testing with all third-party testing results available to view for each product youll see that testing is done by Convance and Eurofins Laboratories right on their website.
Coming in at up to 16g of protein per bar with natural flavorings and subtle sweetness provided by the all-natural ingredients, Promix bars are a great snack with a relatively low-calorie content of up to 150 calories per bar. They have a great crunchy marshmallow treat texture, and if you like different flavors, Promix offers four varieties Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, and our favorite, Mint Chocolate.
These crunchy bars are reminiscent of a rice crispy treat that’s packed with protein and absent all that unwanted sugar. They’re a nice change from normal chewy protein bars.
Coupon Copy: Promix Crunchy Puff Bar is a great protein-rich snack offering up to 16g of protein per serving with just up to 5g of sugar and made from all-natural ingredients. The marshmallow treat texture offers a change of pace from the traditional and boring protein bars of years past and is a product youll be glad to eat rather than forcing down.
Recommended Reading: Protein Powder For Lactose Intolerant
Benefits Of Protein Bars For Every Fitness Fanatic
Protein is one of the most essential macronutrients for the human body that supports several functions. It can be found in a variety of foods including meat, fish, eggs, chicken, and some plant-based sources like soy, nuts, beans and pulses, etc. But when you are looking for an on-the-go snack to curb your hunger between the meal and a portable option to maintain your muscle your mass, then nothing can be better than protein bars. There are several dietary and lifestyle benefits of protein bars.
Protein has a good impact on metabolism, can burn calories, and curb your appetite, which is why protein bars are best for weight loss. Intake of protein reduce the hungry hormone in your body and help you lessen your food intake naturally.
Are Protein Bars Good For You: Nutrition
When it comes to how ‘good’ protein bars are for you, it depends on the brand of protein bar and what ingredients go into the bar. Most protein bars contain a good mix of ingredients that provide flavor and texture, such as nuts, seeds and dried fruit. They may also contain whole grains, such as oats. To bind these ingredients together, and improve the overall flavor, they may also contain sugar syrups, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, milk, eggs, or yogurt powder. Vegan brands may choose to use plant-based agents, such as soy or rice.
Given the variety of ingredients, its impossible to say whether every protein bar is good for you. But knowing standard nutritional information can help. According to the US Department of Agriculture , an average 63g protein bar will contain the following nutrition:
Using this as a guide, we can see that our average protein bar is a great source of protein, fiber, and calcium. Its also a good source of carbohydrate and iron.
Its important to note that not all protein bar manufacturers show their ingredients on the packaging. Some use a blend of ingredients that are kept secret from their competitors, so it can be difficult to know exactly what youre taking into your body. Opting for protein bars that have a full list of ingredients will help you make a more informed choice.
Also Check: How To Incorporate More Protein
Best Protein Bars 2022
- Grams of protein per serving: 9.5g per pack of three balls
- Calories per serving: 183 kcals
- Type of protein: whey protein and peanut butter
- Fat per serving: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates per serving: 16.9g
- Fibre per serving: 2.3g
- Salt per serving: 0.53g
These balls are a great option if you’re after a snack made with natural ingredients, but bear in mind that the included dates and grape juice means they’re higher in sugar than other protein bars.
That said, they’d be a quick and easy energy booster before intense exercise. They have a satisfying, chewy texture, just the right level of sweetness, and a lovely dusting of desiccated coconut on the outside of each ball.
- Grams of protein per serving: 18g per bar
- Calories per serving: 152 kcals
- Type of protein: soy protein isolate and whey protein concentrate
- Fat per serving: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates per serving: 11g
- Fibre per serving: 5.7g
- Salt per serving: 0.33g
If packing in the protein is your main priority , these bars supply an impressive 18g each. They have a fluffy, chewy texture with contrasting crispy pieces throughout, and while they do contain artificial sweeteners isomalt, sucralose, maltitol and steviol glycosides they aren’t overly sweet and have a relatively low sugar content.
Best high-calorie option to fuel exercise
More like this
Protein Bar Vs Granola Bar
Theres no formal definition for a protein bar, but the numerous bars boasting their protein prowess are not created equal. A typical snack or granola bar contains minimal protein, 2 grams or even less per serving. Some other bars may fall mid-range with 8 to 10 grams of protein per bar. For a bar to provide more substantial protein, look for one with closer to 12 to 25 grams per serving, depending on your needs. Protein requirements vary greatly from person to person a 150-pound adult requires a minimum of 55 grams per day. Protein requirements for athletes and active individuals will be more generous.
Don’t Miss: How To Increase Protein In Body Naturally
Who Shouldnt Buy Nicks Keto Snack Bar
- Athletes looking for a higher carb content in their protein bars might want more than the four net grams of carbs in these.
- People who prefer whey protein isolate instead of concentrate might want something different than the milk protein concentrate and whey protein concentrate in these bars.
When youre trying to eat keto while also fueling your workouts, Nicks Keto Snack Bar comes through with only four net grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat, and 14 grams of protein.
Key Recommendations On Protein In Protein Bars
- If youre looking for a bar with a higher protein content, reach for one that has at least 20g of protein per serving.
- If youre not vegan, a bar containing milk protein might be the best choice for you. This could be whey protein or micellar casein, for example. However, you wont go wrong if the bar contains egg albumin either.
- Vegans do better if they choose a bar that combines multiple protein sources . This gets rid of the deficiency in the form of a specific limiting amino acid and provides a snack with a more favourable amino acid spectrum. A good combination may be, for example, a combination of soy and legume protein.
Want to learn more about the quality of protein in protein bars? Then you should not miss our article How to Choose the Right Protein for Weight Loss or Muscle Growth?
Also Check: Does Protein Help You Loose Weight
What Is The Best Protein Bar
In order to find the best protein bar for you, you need to know your goals. When going on a fitness or weight loss journey, it’s very important to set fitness goals so that you can track your progress and have something to focus on. Once you know your goal, you will be able to decide what is the best protein bar for you.
Some protein bars are designed to increase mass for those looking to build a lot of muscle. These bars will contain a high amount of carbs as well as protein and a high number of calories for those who are ‘bulking’ on a high calorie diet. On the other end of the spectrum, there are ‘lean’ or ‘diet’ protein bars which contain very few carbs and a low amount of calories while still packing a lot of protein, and these are better for people trying to lose weight while building lean muscle and strength.
Finally, one of the most important things to consider when deciding if a protein bar is right for you is the taste and texture. Some protein bars are very dense with a chewy texture, while some are designed to mimic conventional chocolate bars with their decadent taste and chocolate coating.
The Advantages Of Eating Protein Bars
Protein is an essential macronutrient that supports several structures in your body. You can find protein in numerous sources including eggs, meat, fish and nuts. However, many people rely on protein supplements to get their recommended daily amount. The protein bar is just one option that has several dietary and lifestyle benefits.
Video of the Day
You May Like: Orgain Protein Powder Peanut Butter
The Benefits Of Protein Bars
Whether youre looking to gain muscle, , or both, studies suggest that focusing on protein intake can help. According to a 2020 study, getting a lot of protein in your diet can help increase muscle mass and decrease body fat. So finding the right protein bar for you can potentially help you achieve any aesthetic goals you might have while maintaining your energy levels.
Protein bars can also come in handy when youre training extra hard. A 2018 study found that a diet high in protein can help improve your muscles recovery after a hard training session. So whether youre thinking about your long term goals or short term gain , protein bars might be helpful.
Plus, protein bars can be a convenient and healthy snack to have on hand. Even if you arent trying to meet any particular fitness goals, it can be better for your long term health to reach for a protein bar rather than a candy bar when your sweet tooth hits.
Who Should Be Eating Protein Bars
Protein bars arent just for recovery and performance. They can be part of a weight-loss journey, a snack for a rushed parent on the go, or just as a tasty treat when you fancy something sweet.
Smart Bars are suitable for anyone who seeks macro-friendly indulgence. In other words, those who crave confectionery but want a low-sugar alternative that will fill you up for longer. Additionally, the convenience of a Smart Bar as a grab-and-go snack that can be enjoyed anytime of the day makes it a cupboard essential for anyone with a busy lifestyle.
We also have a Plant-based version of Smart Bar Plant which is the best vegan protein bar on the market for vegetarians and vegans. In addition to this, Smart Bar Plant as with Smart Bar, is palm oil-free.
Looking for even smarter snacking? Our Smart Bar Half Size, with the same great taste but in a handy snack size, is the perfect protein-filled treat to carry around in your gym bag or coat pocket. Youll never be caught out hungry again!
Recommended Reading: Is Orgain Protein Powder Safe For Pregnancy