What’s In This High Protein Smoothie
There are just a few simple ingredients in my simple chocolate peanut butter smoothie!
Banana: I like using frozen, chopped up banana to act as the chilling element to the smoothie. Plus, banana is a natural sweetener!
Cocoa powder: Use 2 to 3 tablespoons depending how rich of a chocolate flavor you prefer. Cocoa powder is a pure form of chocolate without added sugar, which makes it a lighter option than milk chocolate.
Peanut butter: PB is a delicious, nutty addition to smoothies for added protein.
Greek yogurt: You can go with plain or vanilla Greek yogurt. It gives the smoothie a creamier texture and more protein power!
Milk: Milk acts as the liquid to blend the ingredients together into a drinkable consistency. You can use cow’s milk or almond, whichever you prefer!
Optional sweetener & protein powder: If you use plain yogurt, you may want to add honey or maple syrup to naturally sweeten the drink, plus a scoop of protein powder will up the protein element.
Bulking Protein Shake Without Powder
Trying to build muscle? Cant gain weight? Dont have protein powder? Try our Bulking Protein Shake without Powder! This high calorie drink is packed with great macros, easy to make, and you dont need to protein powder to make it!
Add right into a blender 1 cup of unsweetened milk substitute , 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 9 tablespoons of pasteurized liquid egg whites, 1 banana, 4 tablespoons of powdered peanut butter, 1 container of vanilla Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, and 1/2 cup of ice.
Liquid egg whites? Yes! Pasteurized means that your eggs have already been cooked making them perfectly safe to drink.
Blend all of those ingredients together.
Why cocoa powder? You can find it pretty much anywhere, itll add a chocolate flavor to your recipe, is cheap, and has 2g of fiber with no sugar per serving!
This Is Just A Sneak Peak Into The Types Of Exclusive Videos And Recipes That Youll Get If You Join The Food Babe Membership Program
I include smoothie recipes like this as a regular part of this program because its one of the best ways to get greens in your diet, provide your body a rich source of chlorophyll on a daily basis, and ultimately is one of the key actions you can take to keep your body in an alkaline state to avoid disease.
When you join, youll get hundreds of pages of my tested tricks and tips to making healthy eating mindless, and a monthly meal plan full of Food Babe approved recipes and guidelines. Youll also get exclusive how-to videos and access to live group check-ins with me, where you can ask me anything.
If you know someone who could upgrade their protein, please share this recipe with them. Who knows, maybe theyll make you one too!
And Get A FREE Healthy Grocery Guide Sent To You Now!
Find out what to buy and where at the top grocery stores near you
Read Also: Are Pure Protein Bars Healthy
Alternative Protein Sources To Include In Shakes
There are plenty of high protein foods you can use to make a quick and healthy protein shake.
Whats more, high protein foods may also include beneficial nutrients and compounds that get stripped away during the processing of protein powders. One example is fiber found in whole peas but not isolated pea protein.
Here are some great sources of protein to include in homemade protein shakes:
- Milks: cows milk, ultra-filtered milk , pea milk, soy milk, hemp milk
- Other milk products:Greek yogurt , cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, kefir
- Soy products: edamame, silken tofu, soy butter
- Nuts and seeds : peanuts, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, pecans, almonds, hemp seeds, chia seed, flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- Grains and beans: oats, quinoa, white beans, black beans, lentils
Food sources of protein to add to shakes include nuts and seeds, milk products, Greek yogurt, tofu, and beans.
Evolve Plant Based Protein Shake Double Chocolate 20g Vegan Protein Dairy Free No Artificial Sweeteners Non
About this item
- 20 GRAMS OF PLANT-BASED PROTEIN sourced from peas, a delicious and more sustainable source of protein
- NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED and made without artificial flavors or sweeteners and with no colors from artificial sources.Non-Caffeinated
- GOOD SOURCE OF calcium, iron, vitamin B12 and zinc, which are an important part of any diet, and are particularly important for those whose diets are light in, or lack, meat, eggs and dairy
- 10 GRAMS OF FIBER, an excellent source of fiber to help support a healthy digestive system
- EVOLVES COMMITMENT TO THE OUTDOORS starts with our protein source peas. Growing peas helps to build healthy soil by returning much needed nitrogen back into the ground. Healthy soil builds better resilience to pests, erosion, disease, and extreme weather, making pea protein more sustainable for the planet
- PROUD NATIONAL PARKS FOUNDATION PARTNER, helping to protect and ensure access to the outdoors for everyone
Also Check: Protein Shakes Without Protein Powder
Protein Shakes Without Protein Powders Yes They Exist
Cool off after a workout and replenish those lost nutrients with a variety of delicious and healthy homemade protein shakes. We have put together a few recipes that you can make at home. Whats more, you dont need any protein powder.
Do we have your attention yet?
Read on and get access to some super cool recipes of protein shakes that you can make in your very own kitchens. Packed with all the healthy goodness, you are bound to get the much-needed dose of protein after a workout session. Excited already?
Then lets get started!
All About Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds and sunflower seed butter provide plant-based protein and heart-healthy dietary fiber. It is an excellent source of vitamin E, folate, copper, magnesium, phosphorus and selenium. It is also a good source of vitamin B6, iron and zinc. Using sunflower seed butter keeps this Vegan Protein Smoothie totally nut-free! You can also substitute pumpkin seed butter if you prefer.
Read Also: Best Whey Protein For Beginners
Sunwarrior Protein Warrior Blend Natural
If you’re looking to bulk up and lean down, this blend is a great pick. A protein blend of organic pea protein, organic hemp protein, and organic goji berry come together with organic whole ground coconut for Sunwarrior’s powerful raw plant-based blend. “Pea protein has been shown to build muscle just as well as popular dairy-based protein powders,” share the Nutrition Twins. “Additionally, it’s a good source of the branched chain amino acids which are important for muscle building,” they conclude.
Should I Make My Protein Shake With Milk Or Water
You can make a delicious protein shake with either milk or water as the liquid base.
Milk tends to be the preferred choice for a few reasons:
- Milk contains quite a bit of protein.
- Milk will create a slightly thicker and creamier blend.
- Milk is more filling/satiating.
- Milk offers additional benefits like healthy fat, calcium, vitamin B12, and other important nutrients.
That being said, you can definitely make a protein shake with without milk.
Instead of using milk, you can make a protein shake with water, juice, or any other liquid of choice.
Its generally a good idea to start with a small amount of liquid and add more as needed, to avoid creating a thin, runny drink.
Adding in additional frozen fruits or something creamy is a good way to make your shake thicker in lieu of dairy.
Recommended Reading: Muscle Milk Gainer Protein Powder
Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Shake Knockout Chocolate 32g Protein 11oz 12ct
About this item
- Contains 11 fluid ounce bottles of muscle milk Pro Series Protein Shake, packaging may vary
- 32 grams of protein per serving to help support muscle rebuilding, muscle growth, and maintenance of muscle mass
- The Combination of high-quality slow releasing and fast releasing proteins provide a more sustained delivery of protein compared to whey alone
- Excellent source of 20 vitamins and minerals. State of Readiness: Ready to Drink
- Vitamin D and calcium for strong bones
- Essential amino acids, including Leaucine, play a role in muscle growth
- Uses: Helps rebuild muscle, post-workout recovery, muscle maintenance, in between meals, on-the-go use, energizing
- Tested for banned substances. NSF certified for the sport. NSF screens for more than 200 substances banned by most major athletic organizations
But Nutiva Is An Organic Plant Protein Superfood Is This Healthy
The first ingredient is listed as Protein Blend, which consists of a blend of isolated protein from pea, pumpkin, sunflower, chia, hemp and sacha inchi, all of which would be incredibly healthy ingredients if they were simply left in their whole form!
As you are learning, isolating the protein from all of these incredible whole foods removes their nutritious value. So, no, Nutiva Organic Protein isnt great either.
Also Check: What Is The Most Protein Dense Food
Tips For Making The Best High Protein Fruit Smoothies
So, the best thing about smoothies is that they are packed with nutrition and easy to make. They are delicious, full of fiber, and a great way to boost weight loss. To make the best high protein fruit smoothies ever, keep these tips in mind:
- Use unsweetened almond milk as your liquid because it is low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals, and also gives a good consistency
- Loading your blender in this order typically works best liquid, not frozen veggies or fruits, greens if you are adding any, then the frozen fruits and veggies, and finally, the protein powder
- If you find your smoothie to be too sweet, add lemon juice
- If the taste is too bitter, add pineapple, orange, or banana
- Natural sweeteners like honey and pure maple syrup work great in smoothies
- Avocado can add creaminess to a smoothie, not to mention a load of nutrition
- The riper the banana, the sweeter the shake
This Recipe Can Be Made Low Sugar And Dairy Free As Well
For a low sugar version, you will omit the banana or use 1/4 instead of 1/2 of a banana and use a lower carb Greek yogurt with a carb free sweetener of choice.
To make this recipe dairy free is simple, just use a plant based yogurt instead of a dairy version. I also have a vegan protein shake with no protein powder recipe HERE.
I love having a protein shake to start my day or get me through my day as an afternoon pick me up or even to replace a meal when I dont have time to eat or I am not feeling like a full meal.
This recipe is a great base recipe that you can add your own adaptations and flavor preferences to. Think of it as a master recipe for how to get protein in a shake without protein powder. Follow it exactly and it will taste amazing or add some nut butter,chocolate chips or whatever to make it however you like it.
I dont mind protein powder, though it isnt my favorite thing at all. I also have a lot of friends and family who dont love the taste/texture/aftertaste of protein powders. So this recipe really comes in handy. Its refreshing, satisfying and super easy to make.
You May Like: High Protein Meals For Muscle Gain
Shakeology Claims The Healthiest Meal Of The Day Is It True
The first two ingredients in this popular brand include whey protein isolate and pea protein, both of which are processed food ingredients. Whey protein isolate is created by separating components from milk and processing it to yield whey protein. Pea protein is made by extracting the protein from peas.
Neither whey protein isolate nor pea protein constitutes a whole food ingredient. Therefore, no, Shakeology Protein is not the healthiest meal of the day.
Making A Green Protein Shake
Read Also: Best Protein Powder For Gaining Weight
How Much Protein Do You Need
The exact number of grams of protein per kilogram of lean body mass a person needs each day is still in the gray area. Most experts estimate the amount to be 1 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of lean body mass.
The Institute of Medicine recommends that we ingest 0.8 gram of protein for every kilogram that we weigh. For example, a 120-pound woman would need to eat only about 44 grams of protein a day. This isnt a whole lot. And yet, whether you are buying a pre-made protein shake or making protein shake recipes using a protein powder, the average protein shake contains about 15 to 20 grams of protein per serving.
The point is, the protein in your diet can quickly add up. Check here how quickly I get to 72 grams of protein on a day where I decided to only eat vegan.
Remedy Organics Keto Variety 12
About this item
- DELICIOUS PROTEIN PACKED DAILY MEAL REPLACEMENT | Each Bottle Contains Nutrient Dense Superfoods | Adaptogenic Herbs & Prebiotics To Flood Your System With Nutrition That Your Body Craves
- READY-TO-DRINK | Satisfying Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner | Pre & Post Workout Boost, And Grab-N-Go Nutritious Snack
- DAILY WELLNESS | Crafted With Adaptogenic Herbs For Immune Support, Prebiotics for Digestive Health, MCT Oil Brain Fuel, Highest Quality Organic Protein For Satiety, Energy And Muscle Recovery
- USDA ORGANIC, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY FREE, SOY-FREE, NON-GMO, VEGAN, KOSHER
Don’t Miss: Vital Protein Collagen Peptide Powder
Amazing Grass Protein Superfood The Original
If you’re looking for an unsweetened protein powder but still want some flavor, Amazing Grass has this great offering that is free of all sweeteners but still contains natural vanilla flavor and organic Madagascar vanilla. This unsweetened protein powder has three components: a plant-based protein blend, a green food blend, and a fruit and vegetable blend. You’ll get protein from organic peas, organic hemp, organic chia seeds, and organic quinoa. There are also 2.5 grams of healthy fats from the seeds.
Best Protein Powders For High Protein Fruit Smoothies
The options for protein powder are plenty. Look for brands that are minimally processed and without added sugars or artificial sweeteners. I like the Naked Nutrition brand because the ingredients are minimal, and because you have options for pea, whey, and egg protein, among others. Lets look a little more closely at the options:
That all being said, you can certainly get naturally-occurring protein from chia seeds, flaxseeds, nut butter, spinach, and egg white, too!
Also Check: The Best Protein Powder For Weight Loss
Protein Shakes As A Good Source Of Protein
Protein shakes allow your body to conveniently get nutrition, whether it is after your workout, on the run or just during a hectic day. Protein is known to provide long term energy and strengthen your muscles. While there are numerous protein powders available in todays market, they are mostly fairly expensive.
So, how can you include protein in your daily diet conveniently without the expensive protein powder? With powder free shakes and smoothies of course
Is It Good To Put Protein In Smoothies
Putting protein in smoothie can be a good idea for many reasons.
Protein is an essential macronutrient that is required for our bodies to do pretty much everything!
You probably know that protein is important for muscle growth, repair, and recovery. But the body also requires dietary protein because it uses it to build proteins in the body that are crucial for all sorts of other functions as well, such as immune system defence, metabolism, cell cycling, cell signalling, transport within the body, energy, weight management, etcwhatever the bodily function, theres a protein for that!
This means it is important to get enough protein in our diets, particularly if you have an active lifestyle.
And what better way to get in your daily protein, than through a smoothie!
Smoothie are an excellent vehicle for protein for many reasons:
- They taste great
- You can avoid the commonly disliked chalky texture of protein powder drinks
- Protein makes them more filling and satiating
- Protein helps slow down digestion and reduce blood sugar spikes
- Theyre easy and convenient to drink
- A smoothie will provide so many additional nutrients, in addition to the protein, in one drink!
You May Like: Where Are Proteins Made In The Cell
Ripple Vegan Protein Shake Chocolate
|2.5 x 2.5 x 6.75 inches|
About this item
- CHOCOLATEY GOODNESS: Ripple Chocolate shake is delicious and smooth with a rich cocoa taste. Our shakes are 100% dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, gluten-free, lactose-free & non-GMO verified, so you can enjoy worry-free!
- THE BETTER PLANT POWERED PROTEIN: Ripple Shakes provide 20 grams of pea protein, which has higher nutritional value, tastes better, and is more sustainable than other plant-based proteins.
- FULL OF ESSENTIAL VITAMINS & MINERALS: Includes 30% of your daily recommended value of iron, an excellent source of calcium, phosphorus, iron and potassium. Our shakes are also low calorie & low sugar!
- CONVENIENT, ON THE GO NUTRITION: In ready-to-drink bottles, Ripple is the perfect premade breakfast, post-workout snack or light meal replacement for those on the go.
- BUSINESS FOR GOOD: As both a Public Benefit Corporation and a Certified B Corp company, were committed to high standards of sustainability, accountability, transparency and performance across all areas of our business.