Naked Whey By Naked Nutrition
If you want a protein supplement thats as close to nature as possible, then youll want to check out Naked Whey by Naked Nutrition. As the name suggests, this whey protein powder is free of any artificial sweeteners, flavorings, or colors. Its also non-GMO and gluten-free.
Naked Whey is made with grass-fed whey protein isolate that is sourced from cows in California. Its also very low in lactose, so its easy on the stomach. One scoop of Naked Whey contains 25 grams of protein and 5.9 grams of muscle-building branched-chain amino acids.
Naked Whey is a great choice for those who are looking for an all-natural whey protein powder. Its also a good option for those who are lactose intolerant or have sensitive stomachs.
You will notice that Naked Whey is a bit more expensive the others on this list, that is because it comes in a giant tub that contains 76 servings, so while it costs more, you get more.
Natural Vs Artificial Sweeteners In Whey Protein
Sugar substitutes are chemical or plant-based substances used to sweeten or enhance the flavor of food or drinks. With the maximum versatility of unflavored grass-fed whey, there are several options for sweetening or flavoring your daily protein shake. Start with AGN Roots Grass-Fed Whey, which contains zero calories or sugar, and then choose from the variety of sweeteners, both natural and artificial, that we’ve highlighted below!
Can I Take Protein Powder If I Don’t Workout
Powders are generally marketed to athletes and people who are trying to build muscle, and the average person doesn’t need as much protein as is often recommended.
Most people can get the protein they need from whole foods like meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes, and nuts.
That said, there may be some benefits to taking a protein supplement if you’re not getting enough protein from your diet and especially if you are also going to the gym.
Also Check: Protein Shakes For Weight Loss For Females
Why Avoid Artificial Sweeteners
There is no scientific evidence that artificial sweeteners are harmful. However, some people believe that these substances can cause side effects, such as headaches, digestive issues, and weight gain.
If youre looking for a protein without artificial sweeteners, there are several options available.
Plantein By Kaged Muscle
Next up we have another solid choice from Kaged Muscle.
They use a sophisticated micro-ultrafiltration system to reduce unwanted fat, cholesterol, and lactose which makes for easier digestion.
This is a very high-quality plant based protein powder with 26 grams of protein per scoop. Its very low in calories as well, with each serving containing just 120 calories.
Its also low in carbohydrates and fat, and its gluten-free, soy-free, and non-GMO.
One of the great things about this powder is that it contains no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors.
Its available in five different flavors: Peanut Butter Cookie, Banana Bread Cinnamon Roll.
Pricewise this is one of the lower priced powders on the list.
If youre looking for a high-quality protein supplement that doesnt contain any artificial sweeteners or anything else weird, this is a great option to consider.
Don’t Miss: Vegetarian Meal Prep High Protein
Who May Not Benefit From Vegan Protein Powder
The following groups may not benefit from taking a vegan protein powder:
- Healthy adults who meet their protein needs through diet: Most people who eat a well-balanced diet that includes a variety of protein sources get enough protein through food. So, for the average person, a protein powder supplement is not necessary and wont provide noticeable benefits. Getting protein from food has the added benefit of nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Plus, protein-rich foods are usually less expensive than protein powders.
- Those on protein-restricted diets: Some people who have certain medical conditions that require a lower-protein diet may need to avoid vegan protein powder supplements. Some of these conditions include chronic kidney disease and inherited metabolic disorders including phenylketonuria, homocystinuria, maple syrup urine disease, and tyrosinemia. If you’re on a protein-restricted diet, talk to a healthcare provider before trying a supplement.
How To Tell If A Protein Powder Is Free From Sugar
Most sugar-free protein shakes will shout about the fact theyve ditched the sugar so, youll likely see it on the packaging.
Always check the label and ingredient list to check if a protein powder is truly sugar free, if it contains a teeny bit of sugar, or is completely full of the stuff .
Its also worth keeping in mind that no added sugar or less sugar does not necessarily mean sugar-free.
Also Check: Vegan Protein Powder Weight Gain
Garden Of Life Raw Organic Fit Powder
And another vegan plant-based option comes from Garden Of Life. This product is raved about for its filling properties, customers feel full for longer and helping them with hunger during weight loss.
These properties come from certain specific ingredients, such as ashwagandha, known for its anti-stress properties, which help fight cravings.
A pricier option, but customers do like the value it offers, stating that its worth the price.
- Customer reviews say that this product has helped them during their weight loss journey. The main thing customers stated is the feeling of fullness this protein gives them.
- Entirely plant-based, making it an excellent vegan option.
- It contains fat-burning and craving-stopping ingredients that help with weight loss and reducing binge-eating.
- Some customers state that the price doesnt equate to the quantity of the product youre getting.
Is Whey Protein With Artificial Sweeteners Safe
As of December 2020, the FDA has approved 6 artificial sweeteners as generally recognized as safe when used as a food additive. The six high-intensity sweeteners include:
If you have not already noticed, Stevia and Monk Fruit have not made the cut quite yet, however GRAS notices have been submitted to FDA for two types of these sweeteners.
You May Like: 1800 Calorie Meal Plan High Protein
What Are The Different Forms Of Protein Powders
The three most common forms of protein powders are:
- Concentrates: they supply around 60-80% protein, and the rest is made of carbohydrates or fats. These come from extracting protein from foods with processes involving heat or enzymes.
- Isolates: this type of protein powder adds a step to the one described for protein concentrates. This process will remove carbohydrates and fats from the product, leaving it around 90-95% of protein.
- Hydrolysates: the process to obtain this type of protein consists of a more intense heat or enzyme process, separating the amino acids that form proteins, producing a product that is absorbed more quickly.
Are Artificial Sweeteners Safe
Common artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, acesulfame potassium, aspartame, saccharins, and neotame are approved by the FDA for use in certain food items with some exceptions such as in meat and poultry .
The American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association also approve of certain artificial sweeteners as a replacement for sugar.
Artificial sweeteners can help to lower caloric intake, thereby contributing to a reduced risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc.
Does that mean theyre safe though?
The short answer is that it seems theyre mostly safe for most people, at least in the short and mid-term. However, they are still artificial substances. Moderation is going to be key as with anything and that even includes natural sweeteners such as stevia and sugar, of course .
But these sweeteners can certainly help with weight loss and disease management as far as caloric intake is concerned..
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Dairy Free Protein Bar
Ascent Native Fuel Whey Protein Powder
This protein is manufactured by a family business, which controls every part of its production and strives to get it certified.
Its made from native whey, which takes minimal processing. It has zero artificial ingredients, its gluten-free, and has an informed choice certification.
Each scoop has 25 grams of protein, which is equivalent to having any of the following: 4 large eggs, chicken breast, ¾ cup of almonds, or drinking 3 full glasses of milk. It also has 5.7 grams of natural BCAAs.
This pure and intense protein is well suited for athletes. Its great for improving overall performance, and as its a fast-digesting sucralose free protein powder, it can be taken post-workout for muscle recovery.
- The price is prohibitive to some users
Levels 2 Lb Chocolate Mocha Grass Fed Whey Powder
This product is also great for anyone who wants to have lean muscles, lose weight, and generally perform better during workouts.
The difference between this whey protein powder and many others out there is that this one contains natural sweeteners but no artificial ones. Besides whey and non-GMO sunflower lecithin, it contains 100 percent cold-pressed cocoa, and pure decaffeinated coffee. The sweetness comes from stevia and monk fruit. The main difference between this product and many others is in the taste this is not an unflavored product.
Read Also: Why Do People Drink Protein Shakes
The Eat This Not That
Whether you’re a protein powder connoisseur or a first-time buyer, you’re just as likely to be overwhelmed and confused by the countless options and label trickery. That’s why we’ve rounded up a list of the best sugar-free protein powder brands available to you.
To whittle down the list to the cream of the crop, the Nutrition Twins recommend going with the more simple protein powders with shorter ingredient lists because “there is less room for ingredients that could contain contaminants or pose an allergy threat and it allows our clients to mix in whatever they prefer.”
The following protein powders are completely free of any sweeteners, including sugar, artificial sweeteners, non-nutritive sweeteners like stevia or monk fruit extract, or sugar alcohols.
NOTE: You may see that some powders list 1-3 grams of sugar. These are naturally-occurring sugars that are from the protein source. None of these grams of sugar are from added sweeteners.
We’ve split them up into plant-based/vegan and dairy protein, so you can pick according to your dietary preferences.
Garden Of Life Raw Organic Plant Protein Unflavored Powder
This is one of the highest-protein plant-based protein powders that provides a protein punch in a reasonable serving size. Garden of Life’s Raw Protein Powder is unique in that it harnesses the power of pulses , grains , and seeds .
Note that although the brand touts that it’s free of stevia on the label, you don’t have to be concerned if you find a powder you like with this sweetener. “Stevia is considered safe by the major health organizations in the amounts people typically consume,” explain the Nutrition Twins. “However, just like with any sweetener it should be used sparingly in the dietâwhether or not it contains calories.”
Also Check: Printable List Of High Protein Foods
The Popular Kids On The Block
There are countless artificial sweeteners on the market, but the reality is that only a few of them have been studied and tested in-depth.
Aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame-K and saccharin make up the majority of the research into artificially made sweeteners and are also among the most commonly used.
Lets take a closer look at these popular choices.
Protein Powder With No Artificial Sweeteners Big Reveal
Trying to find a protein powder without all the artificial sweeteners? Look no further!
Are you looking for a protein powder that doesn’t have any artificial sweeteners?
If you are, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss some of the best protein powders on the market without artificial sweeteners.
We’ll also give you a few tips on how to choose the right one for your needs. So, whether you’re looking for a whey based or plant based protein powder to help with weight loss or muscle growth, we’ve got you covered!
Read on to find our top picks for the best protein powder without artificial sweeteners!
You May Like: High Protein Snacks For Muscle Gain
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
The Gold Standard is a Whey protein powder without artificial sweeteners. It has no artificial flavors, and its so easy to prepare.
Its an instantized product, so if you dont have time to use the blender, just put a scoop in your beverage and itll mix in right away, like instant coffee.
It delivers in each serving 24 grams of 100% whey protein, 5.5 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs, and 4 grams of glutamine. Its gluten-free.
There are about 130 calories in every scoop, 1 gram of total fat, 5 grams of total carbs, and no significant amounts of fiber.
It consists of a protein blend and contains milk and soy. It also has natural sugar and flavors.
Its adjusted for use by men and women. Taking a sucralose free protein shake before or after exercise assists in kick-starting the muscle recovery process.
It can also be used first thing in the morning for energizing throughout the day, or for appetite control.
- Some people said that it leaves a chalky aftertaste
- Very few users reported feeling a bit bloated after using it
Ingredients To Look Out For
As a general rule, if youre buying a protein powder, its best to choose the right sweeteners. Yes, the no sugar label may seem attractive. But its not really all that good for you.
When in doubt, I highly recommend you choose something unsweetened. Despite your best efforts, there is a high possibility youll encounter ingredient labels that look like they contain components that are great for you but are ultimately not.
Take a look at some of the ingredients you need to be careful of when choosing any protein powder:
- Soy or Soy Instantizers there is a reason you wont find a soy protein powder on this list. Soy by itself is a highly controversial protein powder. Make sure youre going for something soy-free if you want to get the most out of your protein shakes. Soy contains phytates that are known to inhibit mineral absorption.
- Stevia although its regarded as generally safe, a supplement that is sweetened with stevia is not always 100% cool for you. This is especially true if you are on blood pressure medication. Moreover, you need to make sure youre getting pure stevia and not stevia blends, which are often processed with chemicals.
- Artificial Sweeteners there are five kinds of them that are approved by the FDA. Despite FDA approval, this doesnt mean its necessarily great for you. These may be low in calories, but theyre processed with chemicals and junk you dont need in your body.
Recommended Reading: How Much Protein Needed Per Day
Designer Whey Natural 100% Whey Protein Concentrate
This is the only dairy protein powder that doesn’t use organic or grass-fed milk however, it is also one of the only sugar-free dairy protein powder tubs that adds prebiotics, probiotics, electrolytes, and B-vitamins. The hydrating electrolytes and energizing B-vitamins will come in handy if you like to use protein powder in a shake after a workout.
Garden Of Life Meal Replacement Vanilla Protein Powder
This is a great meal replacement protein without artificial sugars. The manufacturer says that it has the nutrition of seven products in one container.
Its organic, delicious, and practical. It has no added sugar, and its also vegan, kosher, dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free.
It provides 20 grams of clean organic plant protein and 6 grams of fiber for better digestion. It also contains 21 types of vitamins and minerals, 1.5 billion probiotics and enzymes, and less than 1 gram of sugar.
Its a vegan protein supplement, so it caters to all the plant-based diets, and the preferences of vegetarian, and vegan folks.
Its a great protein supplement for overall health, in addition to performance enhancement, and building muscle mass.
Its one of the best meal replacement shakes without artificial sweeteners. You can have it on the go when time is too tight, or whenever you need a healthy supplement for a good boost of energy.
- The manufacturer doesnt supply exact amounts of the ingredients
Don’t Miss: Protein Rich Food For Veg
A Love For All Things Sweet
We all love sweets, right? Whether its a small sweet tooth or a big one, there is a place for sweets in all our lives .
But why you ask?
Well, sweetness is recognised as one of the five basic tastes detected by our sensory receptors present in the oral cavity. Research of past decades suggests that liking sweetness is innate and influenced by cultural and personal preferences.
According to years of research on the subject, the appreciation for sweets comes naturally to us. Its also likely influenced by culture as well as personal preferences.
But the love for all things sweet can become an issue if we are constantly consuming the high-calorie simple carb Sugar.
This is where artificial sweeteners come in.
Benefits Of Taking Protein Powders That Are Free From Artificial Sweeteners
Typically, if youre concerned about your health, its understandable that youd like to stay clear of it. There are many benefits to sticking to pure and naturally flavored protein powder.
Take a look at my key takeaways below:
- Clean Blend if you want to reap the full benefits of truly nutritional protein powder, its best to choose a pure blend. This usually means going for an unflavored option. But you could also choose something thats naturally flavored with monk fruit or stevia. Although I highly recommend you choose monk fruit as a sweetener.
- No Side Effects these are notorious for the short-term and long-term side effects they may have. You could suffer from headaches, migraines, stomach issues like bloating or acid reflux.
- Chemical-free protein powders that contain synthetic sweeteners contain chemicals. This is something you dont want since its not at all good for you in the long run.
Also Check: How Much Protein In Mushrooms