Selecting The Best Hydrolyzed Cat Foods
Before you think of switching to any hypoallergenic diets, your vet should supervise an elimination trial to help pinpoint the possible cause.
When selecting the best hydrolyzed food or any other, some important consideration includes the following:
- Look at the product label and name. These two should provide more information, including the intended life stage, manufacturer name, and address, guaranteed analysis, nutritional adequacy statement, ingredients, calorie statement, among other things. See details on how to choose the best cat food.
- Ensure it has only hydrolyzed protein and not just soy, milk, or a few other ingredients.
- Go for animal-based protein and fat sources as they are a source of energy. Additionally, fats help in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins as well as provide omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Buy ones that have fewer carbs, limited in number, and those known to cause hypersensitivities hardly.
- Ensure they dont have artificial flavors, dyes, preservatives, or any other low-quality fillers and by-product meals.
- They should have limited synthetic vitamins or minerals or none at all.
- Complete and balanced with recommended AAFCO nutrition levels unless fed on supplemental, intermittent, or as a treat.
- Even with the best brands, trial and error may help identify which ones work for your kitties.
What Happens If You Give Your Cat Too Little Or Too Much Protein
In the same 2013 study mentioned earlier, adult cats given less than 0.68 grams of protein per pound of body weight entered a negative nitrogen balance. This meant that they were losing more nitrogen than they were taking in.
While the effects of inadequate protein intake vary based on the amino acid profile of the deficient protein, you can expect to see symptoms of malnutrition and, potentially, death. Protein malnutrition may lead to hepatic lipidosis, also referred to as fatty liver disease.
Most cat foods marketed for their low protein content are around 25% to 30% protein and provide roughly 11 to 18 grams of protein each day. Depending on your individual cats protein requirements, this amount may lead to loss of lean muscle mass.
Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet Hf Hydrolyzed For Food Intolerance Dry Food
Youre unlikely to find a non prescription hydrolyzed protein cat food, but if you are willing to pay the price for prescription we can recommend this Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet HF Hydrolyzed for Food Intolerance recipe. Formulated specifically for cats with food allergies and intolerances, this formula features hydrolyzed salmon as a highly digestible form of animal protein. This recipe is rich in omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, plus it is enriched with key antioxidants to boost your cats immunity. This recipe is grain free as well, further reducing the risk for allergies and intolerance and has a natural flavor your cat will love.
You May Like: Whey Protein Isolate On Amazon
Benefits Of Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food
- High Digestibility The structural composition of hydrolyzed protein cat food contributes to its high digestibility. This will also reduce gastrointestinal issues.
- Reduce Food Intolerances with this formulation, the single amino acids are so small that the immune system cannot recognize them. Your cat will less likely to experience an allergic reaction caused by the food thereby reducing food sensitivities and intolerances.
- Better Skin and Coat this recipe also provides a healthy level of nutrients to your cat and this will support healthier skin and a shinier coat for your cat.
- Reduce Skin Allergies hydrolyzed protein cat food will provide important and long-term support for treating the cats itchy skin and sensitive skin.
Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food Types
- Hydrolyzed Protein canned cat food
- Hydrolyzed Protein dry cat food
We have reviewed top rated hydrolysed protein cat food brands such as ROYAL CANIN, PURINA, BLUE BUFFALO, HILLS SCIENCE DIET.
With the above understanding, we believe you are in a better position to select from the suggestions below.
I And Love And You Lovingly Simple Lid Salmon & Sweet Potato Dry Food
Formulated specifically for cats with food allergies and sensitivities, this I and Love and You Lovingly Simple LID Salmon & Sweet Potato is a great choice in limited ingredient dry cat food. It features fresh salmon as the main ingredient and is completely free from poultry. It is grain-free, made with digestible carbohydrates like peas, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas with a rich blend of healthy fats. It contains chelated minerals for optimal nutrient absorption and probiotics for healthy and regular digestion.
Recommended Reading: Best Protein Sources For Vegetarian
How To Choose The Best Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food
Its important to select the best hydrolyzed protein cat food for your pet to ensure that you do not make food allergies and intolerances worse than it already is. Here are some things that you should consider if you do decide on making the switch to a hydrolyzed diet.
- If you are purchasing the food over the counter, remember to check the label. Labels should include ingredients, manufacturer name, nutritional adequacy statement, calorie statements as well as a guaranteed analysis on the food content.
- Be careful that the product only has a hydrolyzed protein and not soy, or other ingredients
- Choose food that contains animal based protein and fat sources. An adequate amount of fats is needed for the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids are also an important requirement in your cats diet.
- Avoid foods with preservatives, artificial flavours and coloring, meat byproducts or any other low quality fillers
- Avoid foods with synthetic vitamins and minerals
- Go for hydrolyzed foods that are balanced and have adequate nutrition levels
- Be aware that even with hydrolyzed foods, you may need some trial and error before you find something that is suitable for your cat.
Royal Canin Hp Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food 77 Lb
as of November 16, 2022 4:58 am
- Boosted omega-3 fatty acids to improve your dog’s skin health and coat luster
- Chelated minerals that can be easily absorbed by your pet’s body
- Hydrolyzed soy protein that won’t upset your pet’s system
- Ingredients that nourish and support your pet’s digestive flora
- Rice as a simple starch source that’s easy for your dog to digest
You May Like: Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Powder
Best Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food
Some hypoallergenic dog foods that Dr. Karwacki and Dr. Harbour recommend include Royal Canin, Purina, Hills Science Diet and Rayne Clinical Nutrition.
These companies have strict standards when making these , which include either having designated lines for these foods or completely sterilizing the lines before making the food, Dr. Karwacki said.
Here are some of the best hydrolyzed protein dog foods you can buy, recommended by vets and pet parents.
Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food: Bottom Line
The Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food line of products is formulated for dogs that suffer from skin and coat conditions or gastrointestinal issues caused by food allergies. The products contain hydrolyzed protein, which prevents allergic reactions while allowing your dogs digestive system to utilize the protein more efficiently.
While the products are expensive and require a prescription from a veterinarian, our experience is that the products do work to resolve digestive, skin, and coat issues.
Also Check: Protein Food For Dogs Homemade
Best Wet Food For Cats With Allergies
Rabbit is a popular choice for hypoallergenic cat food. While some cats may have been exposed to duck or pork, most cats have never eaten rabbit in their lives. This makes rabbit a novel protein to most cats. Rabbit is well tolerated and many would argue that rabbit is the closest available protein to what cats have evolved to eat.
The fact that Instinct labels this food as a limited ingredient diet is great because it shows that this food has been manufactured with food allergies in mind. This food is simply rabbit, peas and added vitamins and minerals.
Instinct does contract out the manufacturing of their canned foods, but they have extremely strict specifications for the facilities. Natures Variety, the company that is behind Instinct, has a good track record for quality. Based on what we know about the company, we believe that there is almost no chance that Instincts Limited Ingredient Diets would have any cross contamination with other foods.
This food is pricey, at about the same cost as prescription hypoallergenic cat food. However, in both the case of Instinct and prescription diets, you are paying for excellent quality standards. The rabbit meat is sourced from France and Italy to ensure safety.
The flavor of this food seems to go over well with cats for a paté texture. If you have a picky eater, you may want to try mashing up this food with a fork, adding water or warming it slightly.
Can Dogs Eat Too Much Royal Canin Diet
No! Royal Canin recommends limiting your dogs intake of Royal Canin products to 1 cup per 10 pounds of body weight daily. Remember, too much of anything isnt necessarily bad. Just be careful not to give your dog too much of certain nutrients. Talk to your vet about proper amounts.
Different Types Of Royal Canin Urinary So Dog Food
Royal Canin Urinary So Dog Food has been designed specifically for dogs suffering from bladder stones. Bladder stones occur when there is too much calcium present in the urine which causes crystals to form within the bladder wall. As these grow larger, they begin to block the flow of urine causing discomfort and pain. Dogs who suffer from bladder stones typically experience frequent urination, painful urination, blood in the urine and sometimes vomiting. In severe cases, the animal may lose weight due to dehydration caused by excessive drinking.
Recommended Reading: High Fiber High Protein Foods
Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet Hf Hydrolyzed For Food Intolerance Dry Cat Food
Does your feline have food sensitivities? Blue Buffalo HF Hydrolyzed for Food Intolerance has a formulation to help minimize hypersensitivities to common proteins. Why?
- It has highly digestible salmon hydrolase produced via hydrolysis using enzymes and processed and dried at low temperatures.
- It doesnt have poultry or chicken by-products
- Its grain-free, i.e., doesnt have soy, corn, or wheat and has zero artificial preservatives or flavors.
- The added fish oil and flaxseed are excellent natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids that will improve your cats skin and coat
- Finally, the food has added vitamins E and C, kelp, and pumpkins to boost the immunity of your feline pal.
- Its second to fourth ingredients are all plant-based, and its carbohydrates are slightly higher.
- Guaranteed analysis:Crude protein: 30.0% , crude fats: 14.0% , crude fiber: 4.0% , moisture: 9.0% as it is basis.
- First ingredients: Salmon hydrolysate, peas, potatoes, pea starch, canola oil, and pea protein.
- Quantity and calories: 7 lbs. bag and 3,717 Kcals/kg or 430 Kcals/cup
Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Feline Treats Adult
Buying the Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Feline Treats gives your cat a chance to enjoy every bite without the worry or severe food hypersensitivity response that may cause GI and skin symptoms.
- These treats for adult felines will minimize or avoid skin and GI sensitivities present in many proteins since hydrolysis breaks proteins to smaller peptide units that a cats immune response will not detect.
- Have ideal amino acids, and vitamin B levels will provide skin barrier reinforcement, minimize skin sensitivities and irritation while offering nourishment needed for healthy skin.
- Are highly palatable and digestible
- Suitable for elimination trial or long term use.
- Guaranteed analysis:Crude protein: 23% , crude fats: 18% , crude fiber: 5.8% , moisture: 8.0% as it is basis.
- First ingredients: Brewers rice, hydrolyzed soy protein, chicken fat, powdered cellulose, natural flavors, vegetable oil, and dried plain beet pulp
- Quantity and calories: Come in a 7.7 oz., package, and have a calorie value of 3919 kcal ME per kg or 1.6 kcal ME per treat.
Also Check: High Calorie Low Protein Foods
Best Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food Wet
Hydrolyzed protein cat food is a high-protein food that is made from a type of vegetable protein, or hydrolyzed protein. It is often referred to as HP, and it is a highly digestible and nutritious food. It can be used as an excellent replacement for meat in a cats diet.
Hydrolyzed Protein cat food can be used as a suitable replacement for meat, but it is particularly useful as a starter food for kittens. In the past, hydrolyzed protein cat food contained some animal proteins, but they are now completely absent from most types, so they are safe for all life stages, but especially for kittens.
Why Wet Cat Food
Wet cat food is a great way to give your cat the variety they enjoy, plus hydration and the high protein they need. There are lots of choices in recipes as well as textures, including pate cat food and cat food entrees in gravy.
Depending on how you like to store and serve, you can choose from canned cat food or cat food pouches. No matter what the form or flavor, however, the best wet cat food for your cat should always be nutritionally complete and balanced for their life stage.
Wondering which is better, wet vs. dry cat food? The answer is both! Purina nutritionists recommend mixing wet and dry cat food into your feline friends diet. Explore our range of high-quality wet cat food brands, each with so many tempting ways to nourish your cat.
Don’t Miss: Protein Filler For Bleached Hair
Where Is Royal Canin Dog Food Made
Royal Canin is a global company that was founded in 1968 by veterinarian Jean Cathary in Puy-en-Velay, a small town in southern France. Today, the company has 12 production plants around the world.
Also Check: How To Prepare Raw Dog Food At Home
Best Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Foods Wet And Dry
Treating a cat with food intolerance, sensitive stomach, or allergies can be tricky. Improvement isnt immediately apparent, and if you choose to prioritize the wrong protein in an elimination diet, you may see no improvement at all. Were taking a look at some of the best hydrolyzed protein cats foods, both wet and dry.
Hydrolyzed protein cat foods are an excellent way to try and speed up the allergy recovery process for your cat and manage their symptoms. But what is hydrolyzed protein cat food?
Don’t Miss: How Long After Workout Protein
@click=open = Open & & Hideaccordionondesktop > features
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA Hydrolyzed Feline Formula contains hydrolyzed protein, which is protein that has been broken down into small components to be less likely to cause an adverse food reaction in certain cats. This formula is highly digestible, made with high-quality ingredients, and supports a healthy urinary system.
- Formula contains hydrolyzed protein sources
- Single carbohydrate source
- Highly digestible formula to promote optimal nutrient absorption
- High-quality protein
- St/Ox Defense: This diet promotes a urinary environment unfavorable to the development of both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
- Contains antioxidants
Best Hydrolyzed Protein Wet Cat Food
Since wet food is a valuable source of hydration for cats, lets start by looking at the best hydrolyzed protein wet cat foods on offer. These often overlap with kibble versions by the same brand, and where thats the case, we picked either kibble or wet food to focus on.
However, both the wet and dry versions of many of these hydrolyzed protein cat foods are equally reputable.
When it comes to hypoallergenic cat foods that help alleviate allergy symptoms and ensure your cat gets the moisture it needs to keep hydrated, Blue Buffalo hydrolyzed wet cat food is an excellent source of hydrolyzed protein.
It uses fish oils and omega-3 fatty acids to help treat your cats topical allergy symptoms like hair loss and itching skin while also treating your cats food sensitivity.
The recipe is incredibly popular with cats, even normally picky eaters. This is crucial since there are few things worse than buying several tins of cat food only to find out the cat wont eat it.
However, this hydrolyzed protein wet cat food is denser than other recipes. So despite its popularity, its not unusual for cats to leave some of their serving in the bowl.
This New Zealand-based hydrolyzed protein for cats is another popular option for treating allergy symptoms.
This is another way to vary their diet and help them process their food without reacting allergically to it.
- Cats with mouth ulcers/gum disease
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Dairy Free Protein Bar
Hill’s Prescription Diet Z/d Skin/food Sensitivities Cat Food Is Our Top Pick
Sarah Scott is a fact checker with more than 16 years of experience in researching, writing, and editing digital and print media. She has verified and edited articles on a variety of subjects for The Spruce Pets, including pet behavior, health, and care as well as the latest trends in products for animals in the home.
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the bestproductslearn more about our process. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Spruce / Sabrina Jiang
Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d Skin/Food Sensitivities Cat Food is our top pick, but if youre looking for something that doesnt require a prescription consider Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein.
We researched the market to create this list of the best hypoallergenic cat foods, although most will require an authorization from your veterinarian.
Some cats can be really picky eaters, which makes it especially difficult to find a hypoallergenic food that theyll eat. Pet owners give this flavor of Instinct cat food a high rating on flavor, so picky pets may be more apt to give it a go. Rabbit is the novel protein in this food and it contains no grain, chicken, fish, beef, dairy, soy, or potatoes making it less likely to cause a problem for a cat with allergies.